Shadowing and Repetition
Spend a Few Minutes Every Week
Improving your listening, pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary.
Every Wednesday, all Makoto+ members (both Samurai and Shogun/Lifetime members get two sentences to practice.
Shogun/Lifetime members get ALL our previous sentence lessons - HUNDREDS of them!
Want to try it out? Here's a recent beginner-level sentence:
~すぎる too much
this| book | as for | me | for | topic marker | too difficult | can’t | read
This book is too difficult for me to read it.
- この this
- 本 book
- は as for; regarding (topic marker)
- 私 I; me
- に for
- は as for [this topic marker is not necessary grammar wise, but it gives added focus to the topic: 本]
- 難し difficult [adjective-stem of 難しい (difficult)]
- すぎて too (difficult) [te-form conjunctive of すぎる (to be excessive; to go beyond); used after adjective-stem or masu-stem V to mean “to be excessive”]
- 読めません not being able to read; can’t read [polite negative of 読める (can read) which is potential of 読む (to read)]
- Master a sentence's meaning, vocabulary, and pronunciation with repetition and shadowing.
- Click "Vocabulary" to see the audio player and the vocabulary.
- Listen to the sentence as many times as you can bear (it will automatically loop).
- Once you understand the meaning, start "shadowing" the text by mimicking (audibly) what you hear.
Going through sentences like this will cement your understanding of Japanese sentence structure, grammar, and vocabulary. Practicing shadowing and repetition consistently will greatly improve your pronunciation skills.
All in just a few minutes of work a week.
Beginner sentence too easy or you just want more? We also publish a new intermediate sentence every week:
～だけ as much as ~ [“dictionary form V + だけ”]
today| as for | my | treat |so | (you) like | as mush as | eat| OK | (quotation marker) | he | said
“It’s my treat today so eat as much as you want.”, he said.
- 今日は as for today
- 僕の my [僕 (“I” or “me” for male)]
- おごり treat [someone’s expense]
- だから since; because
- 好きなだけ as much as (you) like; as much as (you) want [好きなだけ means “as much as you want to eat” which is used often]
- 食べていい it is fine to eat [“te-form V + いい” means it’s fine to ~” or “it is allowed to ~”]
- よ (casual ending particle)
- と quotation marker
- 彼 he
- 言った said
If you are a Makoto+ member currently, I would encourage you to use this resource every week. Consistency is everything with language learning and this exercise is so effective in many areas.
If you are not a Makoto+ member, membership offers you this and so much more. The monthly magazine to download and keep, weekly podcast bonuses, TheJapanesePage.com bonus content, exclusive Anki flashcard decks, and so much more.
Learn more and sign up today by reading our front page. Makoto+ is an incredible value and we are constantly adding more.
Also consider our lifetime deal. Pay once and get a lifetime of everything Makoto has to offer!